Home of the Lobos

Header Paw Image


Social & Emotional

If you are in need of resources for any of the following issues, please visit your counselor for more information or click here for a list of resources put together by the Peer Counselors.

  • anger management
  • child abuse/neglect
  • depression and other mental health issues
  • Mental Health in Colorado
  • domestic violence
  • drugs/alcohol:  www.theantidrug.com/drug_info/www.whatsyourantidrug.com/ or Alanon and Alateen 
  • eating disorders
  • family concerns
  • grief and loss
  • mentoring
  • peer pressure
  • pregnancy
  • relationships
  • residential treatment
  • self-esteem
  • sexual assault
  • stress management
  • suicide
  • teen health

If you need help with basic needs and supplies please see your counselor or Ms. McCoy in Student Services.

For community resources and phone numbers about the above issues or other concerns, please contact First Call (United Way) 211.  Dial 211 to find agencies that can help you, and visit their website at http://www.211.org/

When does my child need help?

Parents are usually the first to recognize that their child has a problem with emotions or behavior.  Still, the decision to seek help can be difficult and painful for a parent.  The first step is to gently try to talk to the child.  An honest, open talk about feelings can often help.  Parents may choose to consult with the child's physicians, teachers, school counselor, members of the clergy or other adults who know the child well.

Some signs that your teen may need help are:

  • Marked change in school performance.
  • Inability to cope with problems and daily activities.
  • Marked changes in sleeping and/or eating habits.
  • Many physical complaints.
  • Sexual acting out.
  • Depression shown by sustained, prolonged negative mood and attitude, often accompanied by poor appetite, difficulty sleeping or thoughts of death.
  • Abuse of alcohol and/or drugs.
  • Intense fear of becoming obese with no relationship to actual body weight, purging food or restricting eating.
  • Persistent nightmares.
  • Threats of self-harm or harm to others.
  • Self-injury or self destructive behavior.
  • Frequent outbursts of anger, aggression.
  • Threatens to run away.
  • Aggressive or non-aggressive consistent violation of rights of others; opposition to authority, truancy, thefts, or vandalism.
  • Strange thoughts and feelings; and unusual behaviors. 

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) Facts for Families also offers guidelines for parents dealing with tough mental health issues.  Additional information is available on their website at https://www.aacap.org/

Another helpful resource for families is https://www.samhsa.gov/

Colorado State University's Psychological Services Center offers assessment and therapy to the Fort Collins area.

Colorado State University's Center for Family and Couple Therapy offers services to families, couples, individuals, adolescents, and children.

PSD does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, age or disability in access or admission to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities. A lack of English speaking skills will not be a barrier to admission or participation.